Fridge

Fridge

Tuesday 15 April 2014

NHL Playoff Picks

Just for the fun of it, I'll post up my end of season playoff picks before the puck drops.

Western Conference

Round 1: 
Colorado over Minnesota (despite the underdog status of the Wild in these games, Colorado is young and new to their present success, and big and solid),
St Louis over Chicago (Because the Blues are the blues, because they're playing Chicago, because they play a pretty mean game),
Dallas over Anaheim (underdog status, Anaheim's still a bit shaky in my opinion (even though Saku Koivu plays for them these days)),
San Jose over Los Angeles (because they're LA, because they have Quick in the goals, because the Sharks have a fluid style that's not weak because of that).

Round 2:
Colorado over Dallas (simple)
Sharks over St Louis (anything but simple, I'll go with the theory that offence wins out over defence, but therefore subject to the injury count)

Round 3: Would favour whichever of Sharks and the Blues makes it versus Colorado (unless its the Sharks and they're really beat up).

Eastern Conference

Round 1:
Boston over Redwings (much as I hate to say it as I like watching the Redwings and the Bruins are, well, the Bruins, baaaah).
Montreal over Tampa Bay (so I can wear my Canadien's sweater, they're the only Canadian team left, I like Subban and Gionta and Markov, they have Carey Price, Wayne goes for the Bolts.  This will be a close run thing, if Montreal tries to dig in the Bolts will cut them apart).
Columbia over Pitsburgh (I don't know a lot about these two, and even though the Penguins have Cosby, they're a bit arrogant and I suspect their roster is not overly deep.  Also, the Blue Jackets are the underdogs nominally speaking, with everything to play for).
New York Rangers over Philadelphia (tough choice, but Rangers home ice and Vinegt as coach with St Louis under him, versus the broadstreet bullies. How could I go for the Flyers?).

Round 2:
Montreal (or the Bolts) over Boston (Anyone but the Bruins!)
Rangers over Blue Jackets (because class and physicality will win out)

Round 3:  If Boston has come this far they'll be hot favourites, though I'll be cheering for the blueshirts (Rangers).

We'll see how I go with my cheering.  I'd like Montreal to win, otherwise I'll probably be cheering for the Western team in the final. 

Especially if they're playing Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment