Fridge

Fridge

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Game Day - Shufflers (8) d Wheelers (6)

While we were in Melbourne the Vikings Inline Hockey season returned from its midseason break at Gawler.  I was dying to know how my team had gone and it was about the first thing I checked when we returned to our apartment from our big night out.  In fact, it is about the only use I made of the internet all weekend (perhaps I should have checked how to get to the Ice House earlier in the day, though!).

To cut a long story short, the Wheelers gave up a 5-0 lead near the end of the first half to end up going down 8-6 to the Shufflers.  This puts the Shufflers a game and a half clear on top of the ladder, with us remaining in second spot thanks to a timely and long awaited victory for the Bumpers over the Rockers in the evening's second Div II game (yay Bumpers).

I wasn't the only Wheeler who wasn't there, Matt the goalie was also absent.  Me and Matt were substituted by Nat in the Goals and Mal on the rink.  Wouldn't blame them though, the Shufflers have evolved into a powerful unit.  For us, Merrilyn scored 3 goals, Alex 2, Matthew 1.  They each also got involved with assists in the high scoring slugfest.  We weren't putting enough shots on goal, looking at the scorecard (20-11).

There are three games left in the regular season.  It will be a tight battle to keep our second place and preserve the second chance.  Alex remains on top of the overall points ladder and assists.  Mark from the Shufflers has overtaken him on the goal count.  Somehow I remain in the top five point scorers with my 7 goals and 6 assists.

This coming Saturday (when I could have been there) there are no games.  The following week I can't be there and there is.  Then it will be two games to go before the finals.

I think I'll be learning of the results of our next game when I am in Geelong (Victoria).  I am keen to get back into it!

*

Off ice, I didn't do any formal workouts while in Melbourne.  I had vaguely planned to do some core and lower body circuits, but we were just too busy.  Also, I think the body enjoyed the break.

Last night, a twenty minute circuit on upper body got me back into the mode.  Tonight, lower body and a bit on the core.

No comments:

Post a Comment