Fridge

Fridge

Tuesday 13 October 2015

Game Day - Mavericks (10) d Snipers (0)

The Mavericks began life as an inline hockey team on Saturday with a ten goal shutout against the Snipers, the other new team entrant in the Division.  Very auspicious for us!

We were composed of three Pfeiffers, Matt and me on skates, and Matt the Goalie filled in the pipes due Josh's absence at a cricket game.  The Snipers had five skaters (three Lukes, Bec and Mel) with Jess the rookie goalie.

The game narrative is fairly simple.  The Snipers began strongly on the attack.  Within five minutes we'd corrected this and I scored the first goal shortly afterwards off a pass by Brenton.  Merrilyn and Natasha each slotted another before half time.  There was one first half (minorly) controversial failed goal attempt by us when the puck ended beneath the goalie's pad and Tash wasn't able to shove it entirely over the line before the whistle sounded.  3-0 at half time.

We had had twelve official shots at goal in the first half to their two (!).  As if this wasn't a wide enough disparity it fails to account for what was probably that many shots again that we'd taken but which missed the goal entirely.  We were pretty happy with our efforts, agreed we only really needed to get more of our shots on net to allow the puck gods to reward us appropriately.

We seem to have inherited the old Wheelers' habit of playing a stronger second than first half and we managed to pile on seven more goals before the final siren ended the Snipers' misery.  We also officially put eighteen shots on net, so our shooting accuracy improved after half time.  As should be expected, this was reflected in the number of goals scored.  I took the only penalty of the game, a minor for interference midway through the second half.  We kept them scoreless albeit they got four shots on net.

A big debut win for the Mav's.  Even more encouraging, all five skaters shared in the points and we all scored at least one goal.  We recorded an impressive eighteen individual points (goals or assists) for our ten goals.  Good teamwork!

The Mav's are already showing some of the good qualities of our Wheeler forebears, namely a strong second half, good passing game, good defensive coverage.  What we seem to have added to the palate is a remergent Matt as playmaker in the forward zone, and a willingness to play forward in defence and deny unopposed rink space in the neutral zone to the other team.  If we only do this against the Bumpers we may have found our antidote to Craig and his slapshot.

My game

During the warmup I finally managed to crack the art of lifting the puck when shooting at goal.  It seemed every shot type I tried could be directed into the various quadrants of the net.  This is the first time this skill has 'clicked' for me so it was a tremendous pleasure to be successfully aiming at the top corner and getting it in there!  Sadly I wasn't able to do it much during the game and, even when I did, not with any real precision, but it is nice to know it's possible and I just need to keep working at it.

I was on our opening line up and had a major full frontal collision with Crystal behind their goal net.  It was jarring in its effect on me but I managed to keep my feet and check that she had too before continuing to skate.  I was a bit conservative for a minute or so after that while I got my breath back.  She skated off for a quick change.  I gather she was at least as stunned as I was.  It was a good reminder that Inline hockey is a collision based sport!

I scored the opening goal, then two more in the second half.  Both of those goals were off of assists by Matt, one such having been deliberately passed through the legs of the Sniper who stood between us!  That was probably my favourite moment, closely followed by a double assisted goal where Brenton put it into the back of the net off a cross crease pass from myself after receipt of another pass from Matt in the corner to me in the slot.  All one touch passes and shot, while moving.  Very slick!

My penalty was probably fair enough, though I didn't think so at the time.  I was called for interference after brushing off and down Dan Luke as he collided with me from behind.  He ended up on the floor as I skated off with the puck.  At the time I just thought that 'he hit me first,' which he had, but didn't account for the fact that his collision hadn't been deliberate and I had kept my feet, while I had meant to contact him and he didn't keep his feet.  Live and learn.

Speaking of Dan, he'll be a great skater as he seems to have his brother's speed and agility.  It won't take him long if he practices and the Snipers will have two of the best skater's in the division.  Josh gave me the strange experience of someone turning inside me, taking the puck, and then accelerating away quicker than I could catch them.  Not only this, but I caught him at least once using a toe drag to make a blind pass.  A challenge for sure to keep him in his box in future games!

I was directly involved in five goals and had a hand in a sixth.

GP 1 G 3 A 2 Pts 5 +6 1/0/0

Inline 56

No comments:

Post a Comment