Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 2 October 2016

The Plan

It is two and a half weeks to our opening ice hockey game for the season, and another 15 days before the second (we play five times over the ensuing 24 day period).  Having moved to the Mid North (about two hours drive from the Ice Arena) there will be a few changes for me from the last three seasons.  Ironically, this pre-season period is that which will be least affected by the move (as it primarily involves individual off-ice fitness and conditioning work, as opposed to team or ice based activity). 

The big changes for me are a function of the distance I need to travel and the time it takes to do so.  I won't be getting to training with any regularity (and possibly not for weeks at a time), I won't be playing inline hockey over summer, and I'll have a two hour car trip both before and after my games.

To alleviate the issue of the two hour drive beforehand, I'll try and leave earlier so that I can have some 'chill' time before starting to focus in on the game ahead.  As I would be having my main meal at least four hours before a game, if I had that and then drove in I'd have a couple hours to get over the trip.  Sounds better than what I did with inline over winter, when it was get out of the car and get changed and play.

As for lack of training sessions or inline games, I can aim to do the best I practically can to attend trainings (half is better than none) and factor some individual skills sessions into my fitness and conditioning schedule.  As for skating practice, take advantage of what spare trips to Adelaide I get to call in at the Ice Arena, and get in some inline skating at the local primary school when the weather fines up.

All of that is for the future, however, except for fitness and conditioning and maybe some individual skills work.  I can do these things now.

Sounds like a plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment