Fridge

Fridge

Thursday 3 November 2016

G2 Predators (6) d Knights (1)

We went down in an otherwise enjoyable game on Tuesday night.  We had thirteen skaters and Tommy in goal.  This is as big a roster as the Knights have had since I started playing.  The Pred's had a similar number.  We ran 4D and three forward lines.  My D partner was Bacon.  It was our second game, the Predators' fourth.  It showed.

Despite the score I was fairly pleased with my efforts.  Two goals against while I was on the ice.  Both times I am satisfied that I was fulfilling my assignment (tracking back the passing option on the first, boxing a big winger out of the crease in the second) and the goal was not down to my error (my D partner fell over at the worst time thus allowing the puck carrier a slot shot on the first and, on the second, our defence got overloaded on the other side and they piled it in).

Highlights in my game were a rush/backcheck combination where I covered the rink to set up a chance and then chase down a breakaway to rob the puck back and send it forward, several board battles where I just tied it up against bigger opponents until help arrived, a perfect stick lift that prevented a high danger shot from a power forward who had knocked me down three times previously during the same play, recovery of the puck in the corner followed by a deft backwards pass to my open winger on the half board (who'd called for it), several times in the slot where I managed to tip or deflect the puck or stick and take the power out of shots.  Got hooked in the final minutes but it wasn't called (hand is still sore).

I wasn't warned by the reff's for anything, didn't pass offside, no giveaways, and managed to see off several 3 on 1 rushes (and a 4 on 1!) just keeping a cool head, spot the worst danger, active stick.  Also played on a couple PK's, the second goal of which was scored while I was on the ice was very late in the second of these.  Played on the PP once also, but we were too chaotic to be threatening.

Not our best game, but could feel the elements coming together as the game went on.

For the night - 0-0-0, -2, 0 PIMS.

Next game, tonight against the Storm.




No comments:

Post a Comment