Fridge

Fridge

Saturday 5 November 2016

G3 - Knights (6) d Storm (2)

This was a good game all around for our team, and a valuable win to counteract the effects of the two previous defeats.  We had twelve skaters, 4 on D, plus Tommy.  I'm not sure how many they had, roughly the same.  We got the first couple goals, answered their first within a minute, followed by another in the second period.  They scored off a powerplay to have it 4-2 going into the last, where we denied them any further score and skated it out comfortable winners.  Nice way to return the favour they handed us last year in the elimination final.

Our team play was a big improvement from previous games, lots of support and a general focus on positioning.  This lead to amongst other things, better protection of the blue lines, fewer off-sides and more breakouts.  There were plenty of second and third efforts from our guys, quicker and more organised changes and a greater commitment from the first.  If we can repeat this and grow comfortable doing it we will become a tough team to beat.

I thought that I played perhaps my best game of ice hockey yet.  I gave a clear assist that wasn't recognised on the score sheet (although it was amongst my fellow players) so I'm not too worried about the boxcars.  I am contributing to our offence and that is enough to know.  The goal came off a direct pass from me, tape to tape to a moving centre.  I was 'in camera shot' for another breakaway goal (I think the scorer skated end to end after collecting a random 'bank pass' from myself) and set up several offensive forays with some good passes.

It was probably the most 'passing game' I've ever played, even having a choice of targets on several occasions.  This last, choice, arose directly from the more positionally aware play of the team generally and, when combined with my own heads-up play, allowed us to take advantage of the opposition to create dangerous situations.

There was some brutal play along the boards, including a full speed frontal collision with an opposing kamikaze winger.  There was a moment of eye contact just beforehand, both of us were resolved.  I spun off him and continued to chase the ricocheting puck, he went down in front of his own bench.  No harm done and we did it again in the third period, and laughed about it in the car park afterwards.  Sadly, I think he managed to trip me behind our net and then hook me on the box (!) as he tried to get his stick out from between my legs.  That hurt, but only enough to motivate me - especially as the referees didn't call it.  That's hockey!

I put quite a bit of effort into controlling our net front, and am beginning to function quite well with Bacon.  I'm working out what degree of force is required.  When defending the house I noticed that my head was on a swivel.  I don't think anyone got by me all night.  Holding the lane inside the dots against an outer skating forward and then transitioning to be able to race him and drive him into the corner certainly helps.  Speaking of racing, my heart rate peaked on a race from far blue line to the boards to ensure an icing call, collapsing in exhaustion upon hearing the whistle and then racing for a change.

Plenty more highlights, such as successful pinches later in the game (and failed versions early), holding the blue lines, not passing off-side, several successful stick checks at speed (recall noticing that I had soft hands when doing so), using our net and the backboards to buy time, short shifting.  Also, playing on the PK and having the puck deflect off my boot and over Tommy's glove.  A great and fun game.

My fitness stats are starting to show an improvement from last year, my peak HR  being 10 less than it has been previously for the same degree of oxygen consumption.  A consequence of my pre-season running?  Very heartening!

Next up, top of the table Generals, followed by two games against the sharks and their league leading scorer.  We will need to bring our 'A' game with us!

Season: 0-0-0 -2 PIMS 0

No comments:

Post a Comment